I am a semi-retired independent scholar who teaches, consults, researches, and writes about instructional design and technology. I'm currently teaching graduate classes in the School of Education at Indiana University - Bloomington.
In 2022, along with Ted Frick, Cesur Dagli, and Andrew Barrett, I published the book Innovative Learning Analytics for Evaluating Instruction. Prior to that, along with Charlie Reigeluth and Brian Beatty, I edited the book Instructional-Design Theories and Models, Vol. IV: The Learner-Centered Paradigm of Education (link to Amazon) published by Routledge in 2016. Here are pre-publication versions of two chapters I co-authored for the book:
- "The Learner-Centered Paradigm of Education" by Reigeluth, Myers, and Lee
- "Designing Games for Learning" by Myers and Reigeluth
I've been involved in higher education for over forty years as a student, a faculty member, and a technology specialist.
I earned a B.A. and M.A. in English at Ball State University and taught composition and rhetoric for a few years. I then studied film production and screenwriting at De Anza College, where I wrote and/or directed several award-winning short films with my brother. I was an early adopter of the Web and served as University Webmaster for Santa Clara University for two years, followed by stints as an animator (for Blue Mountain Arts) and a design technologist for a Web consulting spinoff of SRI just before the dotcom bubble burst.
In 2006 I earned an M.A. in Instructional Technology at San Jose State University, where the faculty chose me for the "Richard B. Lewis Outstanding Graduate Student" award.
In 2012 I earned a Ph.D. in Instructional Systems Technology at Indiana University. I am especially interested in the design and use of games and simulations for learning. For my dissertation (which was awarded "Dissertation of the Year" by the faculty), I proposed and tested a method for using pattern analysis to verify the accuracy of a simulation/game's computational model.
In my spare time I like to read, cook/bake, and play board/card/video games. I'm an award-winning homebrewer, and I used to write about craft beer for IndianaOnTap.com.
- Upland's Secret Barrel Society Dinner One of Many (Delicious) Program Perks [12/06/2016]
- Something Wild: Upland Brewery Explores Its Craft in the Wood Shop [06/12/2016]
- Beer and Loafing on the Bloomington Ale Trail [04/13/2016]
- No Coast Reserve and Central State Beer Pairing Dinner, or We Need the Funk, We Gotta Have that Funk [03/17/2016]
- Function Brewing’s Girl Scout Cookies Pairing The Right Match Of Malts & Sweets [03/05/2016]
- Quaff On! Drink Local Night A Reminder Of All That Makes Bloomington Hoppy [12/04/2015]
- Membership Has Its Privileges: Upland’s Secret Barrel Society Dinner [10/28/2015]
- Function Brewing Dinner The Definition Of Paired Excellence [10/26/2015]
- Schnitzel, Dirndls, & Beer: The Perfect Evening at Upland Brewpub’s Oktoberfest [10/07/2015]